Stuffy Narrative Biography
Marcia has been in the business for 30 years, starting out in 1973 as a beat reporter for the Asbury Park Press in New Jersey. Within a year, she was named religion editor, a position she held for 10 years. During that time, she transformed what was once an unimaginative “church page” into a genuine religion section that featured in-depth and investigative stories on spiritual issues. She also served as the newspaper’s education editor and copy editor on the daily and Sunday deadline desks.
In 1987, Marcia became managing editor of Monmouth Business Talk, a position that involved extensive interaction with executives and managers in the Jersey Shore’s vibrant business community. After the birth of her second child, she left the magazine to stay at home with her children and work as a freelance book editor.
Marcia returned to full-time work in 1994 to become the news editor for Charisma magazine, later serving as an associate editor for both Charisma and Ministries Today magazines. In 1997, she became managing editor for Christian Retailing, a trade magazine for retailers and suppliers in the Christian products industry.
Over the years, Marcia continued to work as a freelance book editor, and by 1999, she was able to leave the hired workforce and launch her own successful freelance writing and editing business. She is also the author of Memoir of a Misfit: Finding My Place in the Family of God and Meditations for Misfits: Finding Your Place in the Family of God (Jossey-Bass, 2003); 101 Most Powerful Promises of the Bible (Warner, 2003); and Checklist for Life for Teens (Thomas Nelson, 2002). With Scott Marshall, she co-authored Restless Pilgrim: The Spiritual Journey of Bob Dylan (Relevant Media, 2002).
In 2015, she founded Mountain Shadows Publishing, based in Woodland Park, Colorado.
Owner and President, Mountain Shadows Publishing, 2015-present
Owner and President, Ford Editorial Services, 1999-present
• Associate editor at The Editorial Department (Tucson, Ariz.), specializing in Christian books but available for all genres
• Individual clients
Past clients and experience
• Author of 27 traditionally published books
• Ghostwriter and contributor to several additional titles
• Editor of more than 150 books, for publishers and individual clients
• Freelance editor for NetWorld Alliance
• Developmental editor for CBA and ABA publishing houses
• Manuscript and book proposal consultant for CBA and ABA publishing houses
• Book doctor for CBA and ABA publishing houses
• Contributor to Publishers Weekly
• Feature writer and book reviewer for FaithfulReader.com and Explorefaith.org
• Inspirational fiction expert (researcher, essayist, and blogger) for Gale Cengage
• Judge for Christy Awards and ECPA Gold Medallion Awards
• Instructor at Christian writers conferences
• Editor with iBelieve.com
Strang Communications (Lake Mary, Fla.) 1994-1999
• Christian Retailing, managing editor, 1997-1998; part-time news editor, 1998-1999.
• Charisma, associate editor, 1996-1996; news editor, 1994-1996
• Ministries Today, associate editor, 1996-1996; news editor, 1994-1996
Monmouth Business Talk (Tinton Falls, N.J.) 1987
• Managing editor (business-to-business publication)
Asbury Park (N.J.) Press 1973-1983
• Religion editor, 1974-1983; education editor, 1977-1978
• Copy editor, 1978-1983; reporter, 1973-1983
Monmouth College (now Monmouth University, West Long Branch, N.J.)
• Bachelor of Arts, 1972. Major: English. Minor: Secondary Education. Certified by the State of New Jersey to teach English.